Wednesday, March 29, 2006

"Clinkers"

I went birding in the middle of the day on Tuesday, something I rarely do, but it was such a great day, I couldn't resist! I was struck with the overall lack of bird activity (good reason not to go at that time), with the exception of two species which were very active--Forest Ravens and Grey Currawongs. I often hear the clink clank of the Grey Currawong, but rarely catch more than a distant view. I came upon a small group, quite probably a family, which flew off as I approached, save for this individual pictured.
It sat in the tree and called repeatedly, with no result, and seemed to get quite agitated, before it too flew off, in the opposite direction to the rest of the flock.

I must confess that I used to have some difficulty in differentiating the Grey, or Clinking (my preference) from the Black, mainly because one tends to see only their backs, often at some distance, as they fly off. This Currawong has kindly raised its' tail to show the diagnostic white undertail coverts. In recent Winters, they occasionally frequent the gardens in my neighbourhood, much to the consternation of the local birdlife.

No comments: